Decisions around deprescribing can be very difficult. Few evidence-based guidelines exist to support safe deprescribing for specific classes of medication.
Each guideline is summarized in an easy-to-use algorithm and information brochure. These algorithms can help health care professionals safely stop or reduce medications for specific drug classes.
Click below to access each algorithm, guideline and information brochure:
Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI)
- Proton Pump Inhibitor evidence-based deprescribing guideline
- Proton Pump Inhibitor deprescribing algorithm
- Whiteboard video on using the Proton Pump Inhibitor deprescribing algorithm
- Antihyperglycemic deprescribing guideline
- Antihyperglycemic deprescribing algorithm
- Whiteboard video on using the Antihyperglycemic deprescribing algorithm
- Antipsychotic deprescribing guideline
- Antipsychotic deprescribing algorithm
- Whiteboard video on using the Antipsychotic Deprescribing Algorithm
Cholinesterase Inhibitors (ChEIs) and Memantine
Each algorithm provides evidence for the benefits and harms of continuing or deprescribing the medications. The algorithms also take into account patient preferences and values surrounding deprescribing, together with practical advice on how to implement deprescribing. The algorithms are also available on the website deprescribing.org, which contains useful tools and information for healthcare providers.